Bucs Central

Early Downs Problematic For Young Defense

Sure the Bucs young defense gave up 431 total yards to the Detroit Lions. But did you know they held the Lions to just 2-of-11 for an 18% conversion rate on third downs. The Bucs defense was consistently off balance on early downs allowing the Lions to rack up 210-yards on 1st down and 112-yards on 2nd down plays.

On first down the Bucs defense surrendered 49% of the Lions total yards. On second down they surrendered 26% accounting for 75% of the Lions total yards.

They allowed 7.24 yards per play on first down. Couple that with poor tackling and an inability to get even the slightest bit of pressure on Matthew Stafford and you get an instant recipe for disaster.

Of course that’s not to say the game plan wasn’t flawed or the offense didn’t have some culpability in the outcome of the game. But when you mix it all up those ingredients are perfect blend for a loss.

The good news is that the passing game got on track and the defense stiffened late. Definitely looks like the team is a ways away from how they ended the 2010 season.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Pin on Pinterest
0 comments… add one

Leave a Comment